What should wear for Hajj and Umrah?
Hajj and Umrah are both sacred journeys for Muslims. Every year millions of Muslims come to Saudi Arabia for these journeys. The number of visitors (pilgrims) is increasing every year. These journeys are sacred because they were performed by our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Both have the same purpose but different significance. The difference is that Hajj is obligatory and Umrah is not obligatory. However, you should know “What should you wear for Hajj and Umrah?”
Before diving into the depths of wearing, you should know that Muslims can perform Umrah up to 30 Shawwal (lunar month) before Hajj. If they miss the opportunity to perform Umrah, they will have to wait for one month after the days of Hajj. But in the meanwhile do not sit idle but try to invest your money in buying Umrah Packages.
Dress for Hajj and Umrah:
Ihram is a prescribed garment for Hajj and Umrah. Its shape is different for both sexes (men and women). But it must be worn during both sacred journeys.
Ihram for Males:
- Two seamless white sheets. One sheet covers the upper parts of the body and the other covers the lower parts of the body.
- The first sheet is called “Rida” (men cover their right shoulder with this sheet during the entire Hajj and Umrah).
- The second sheet is called “Izar” (men wear this like dhoti). It is forbidden to cover one’s head after wearing this dress.
- The man wears no sewn clothes, not even underwear, socks or anything but two sewn white sheets.
- As a man, you cannot wear every shoe during Hajj and Umrah. You should choose shoes that expose your ankles and toes. Therefore, slippers are the best choice when performing both.
Daytime temperatures can be very high due to the desert climate. So men and women can use an umbrella to protect themselves from the sun’s rays.
Ihram for Females:
- Loose and thick clothing is recommended for women.
- Women do not need two or more sewn sheets.
- A woman can wear the clothes of her daily life for Hajj and Umrah.
- They should avoid any adornment-coloured clothing.
- Women should keep their faces and hands bare while in ihram.
- They should cover the whole foot with shoes.
Can you change Ihram during Hajj and Umrah?
Yes, you can change ihram during Hajj and Umrah. Muslims can perform Umrah in 5 to 6 hours. And they need 4 to 5 days for Hajj. It is just a garment but when Muslims wear it is called pure state. You can change your ihram as needed.
Due to the difference in hours versus days, a Muslim can see a clear difference in the prices of the Umrah package and the Hajj package.
Prohibition rules prohibit the use of perfume in ihram. Dirty clothes are not acceptable for use on normal days, then how can this be possible for us during Hajj and Umrah? Menstruation and wet dreams are beyond human control because they are natural processes.
Therefore, after perfume, dirty, menstruation, and wet dreams, the pilgrims should change their ihram clothes.
What should you do before wearing your Ihram?
It is the duty of all Muslims, whether men or women, to wear clean clothes. Because one should wear clean clothes to get Allah’s mercy. But remember that the state of ihram is purer than ordinary clothes. So keep some rules in mind before entering ihram.
Rules for wearing Ihram:
- Cut the pubic and underarms hair.
- Trim the nails of hands and feet.
- Take the bath.
- Make Wudu (ablution).
Which is the best place to wear Ihram?
For Hajj and Umrah, the pilgrim must enter ihram before crossing the meeqat. These are the designated places for all the pilgrims coming from all over the world. There are 5 meeqats in total, where the Saudi government has arranged all the necessary facilities for the pilgrims to enter the state of ihram. No condition, Ihram should be worn only on meeqat. Muslims can wear their ihram in their homeland, at airports (departures and arrivals), and in hotels wherever they wish.
Most Muslims follow this historical event when Muhammad (peace be upon him) ordered his wife and wife’s brother to go to the place of Tanim to enter ihram again. Today, Muslims first go to their temporary Mecca residences and then to the place of Tanim where a mosque has been built which is the Ayesha Mosque.
Gain your knowledge: “Top 7 Attractions in Praia”
As a Muslim, you should enter ihram whether you are a woman or a man. Its shape is different for both sexes. A man will arrange two sewn white sheets. There is no unique colour and clothing for women. Because a woman can use the clothes of daily life as ihram during Hajj and Umrah.